Deerwood Knoll is on the south shore of Upper Cullen Lake and was once the home of various Indian tribes. Hundreds of years ago the Cheyenne used it as a camping site. A number of years ago a Cheyenne grindstone was found on the property.
The railroads were the first owners of this land. In 1908, 135 acres between Middle and Upper Cullen Lakes were purchased by the Lundborg brothers Joe, Ted, and their sister Ann. They became well know characters for many things — hard work, stubborness, open hospitality, tenacity, and their experimental nature. Joe spend time in jail in the 1920s for blowing up a dam between Middle and Lower Cullen Lakes which, he claimed, was stealing his property by raising the lake level. By 1910 the Lundborgs had built a house and barn and were selling fruits and vegetables to people in the lakes area. In 1942 Joe described their farm as a “dairy, truck, fruit, poultry, sheep, nursery, fur, resort farm”. The area of Deerwood Knoll was the fur ranch. The present storage shed is a rebuilt mink barn and the foundations of the fox sheds are still visible.
In 1956 the entire farm was sold to A.E. Rehwaldt. In the 1960s Ed and Frieda Rehwaldt bought 75 of the acres. The present house was originally a 16 x 20 ft. refrigeration building with a gas-powered walk-in freezer and a single story gable-roof shed with two small windows. Through the years many additions and changes were made to the house. The guest building was originally a feed preparation and storage building which was used for living during the mink kitting season. The still existing green shed was a mink barn